Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Stink Bugs: Do you know about them?
Stink Bugs Information
Fall and Memphis brings a cool down from the sweltering summer, fall leaves, and … stinkbugs. Every fall, Memphis homeowners call us concerned about the presence of shield-shaped bugs and a stinky smell. So, what should you do if you suspect an infestation?
What are Stink Bugs?
A stink bug is an agricultural pest that spends most of its life outdoors, attacking crops. Their grayish-brown color and shield-shaped bodies commonly identify these stinky crawlers. When a stink bug is squished or threatened, it releases a pungent odor that some say smells like cilantro (and it doesn’t smell anything like your famous salsa).
Stink bugs usually become a problem as the weather starts to cool down in the fall. Infestations usually start on the outside of a home as stink bugs start to gather on exterior walls in an attempt to catch some rays and stay warm. If your home is not sealed correctly, these pests will invade the inside of your home where it’s warmer.
Are These Pests Dangerous?
Stink bugs may assault your nose with their odor, but they aren’t actually harmful to humans or pets. They’re not known to carry dangerous diseases, and they can’t sting. The biggest issue they cause is how annoying they are— when they invade, they get on everything from the TV to the dish sponges. They will also snack on your garden until it is no longer lush.
Stopping Stink Bugs From Getting Inside
- Conduct a thorough inspection of your home’s exterior. Check for gaps, cracks, and small openings where these bugs can get in. Seal off any potential entry points with caulk or liquid cement.
- Check the weather stripping around your house for damage and wear and tear and fix or replace it as needed.
- Repair any ripped or torn window and door screens.
- Make sure all exterior doors have door sweeps.
- Keep exterior lights off at night, or invest in some insect-resistant lightbulbs.
- Reduce the amount of moisture around your house by repairing leaks and broken gutters and use a dehumidifier as needed.
- Make sure your home is adequately ventilated.
- Check food and other items for stink bugs.
How To Rid Your Home From Stink Bugs
If your home is being invaded by these bugs, contact Foundation Pest Control today. We will get to your house ASAP and work to exterminate your bug problem so you can get back to living comfortably at home.
If you’re experiencing an infestation or any other pest problems, count on Foundation Pest Control to help Memphis, TN homes and businesses.